Instagram -->

Sunday, March 30, 2014

37 Weeks: Group B Strep Test

Well, with the week starting off VERY non-eventful, I have decided to work on something fun to take my mind off of the waiting game.  OF COURSE I could be doing some nesting (believe me, I have a notebook paper FULL of things I would like to get done before baby arrives), but I saw this idea and loved the thought behind it.

In honor of my 37th week being pregnant, let's celebrate by going through 37 things pregnancy has taught me: (Um...yeah right.  I got to 10 and called it quits haha)

1.  Maternity clothes are the best invention EVER! No buttons, zippers, AND elastic waistbands!!!
2.  Babies need A LOT of stuff!  Holy baby equipment overload!  And I'm pretty sure every mom-to-be cries when registering.
3.  Cravings are for real, but husbands will not rush out the door at 3 AM to get them for you ;)
4.  Those baby calendars where they compare your precious little one to a fruit make no sense...but it's something fun to add to the pregnancy chalkboard.
5.  Pregnancy chalkboard updates are cute, but get ready for a weekly commitment of figuring out how the hell you're going to pull that off week after week when feeling like you drank an entire bottle of tequila the night before.
6.  On that note, morning sickness is real...but it can be all day long; and just because your not puking your brains out does not mean you have it any easier or worse then any other mother-to-be.
7.  If you haven't done so already, you will know where EVERY restroom in every store or restaurant is, and exactly how many steps and how long it will take you to get there from any corner of that place.
8.  Ice cold fruit is THE BEST!  From smoothies, to Popsicles, or just keeping the fruit bin stacked in the fridge; I can't get enough of the stuff!
9.  Naps are amazing, take full advantage.
10.  Your pets will undoubtedly know you're expecting and start giving you more and more attention.  My never cuddly cats are constantly by my side while I'm at home and I LOVE it!

Okay, now onto the pregnancy/baby updates:

 Friday we had a doctor's appointment and I'm so happy my grandmother was able to come with us.  She was able to sit in and listen to the baby's heartbeat; once again I loved seeing her face light up to the sound just as our parents have in the past.  We're going to the doctor on a weekly basis now, and I was anxious to see if I had made any progress since our last appointment.

I had totally forgotten about the Group B Strep test the doctor had done last week, so I was completely blindsided by the results. 

First let me explain what Group B strep is. Only about 25% of  of pregnant women carry group B strep. It's a bacteria that may come and go in people’s bodies without symptoms.  If it is present during labor, it can be passed on to the baby and make the baby very sick.  So they give the mother antibiotics during labor to kill the bacteria so the newborn doesn't get it.

I was so shocked by the positive test result so much so  that I immediately started to cry.  Testing positive for Group B Strep is NOT that big of a deal.  The reason I got so upset was because I really didn't want to be hooked up to an IV during labor.  I didn't prep myself very well for this visit, and when what you have planned for your labor all of a sudden is changed, it was hard to hear.  (For all of those mom's out there, I realize this is only a taste of what is to come, and I think I'll be able to prepare myself a bit better for changes in course of treatment later on).  Of course I'm okay with everything now.  I fully understand that whatever needs to be done to keep the baby safe is what we will do, it was just a bit of a shock at first.

Other than these test results, not too much has changed.  The doctor said I'm still at 1 cm dilated, about 85-90% effaced (cervix has thinned out) and still a -2 station.  I have been feeling practice contractions nearly every day, anywhere from just 1 to a handful throughout the day.  I know they're just practice because they don't hurt, just a tightening of my belly.  Baby is still moving around a lot and we have discovered that Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream creates a dance party in my belly, baby goes nuts over it!

Saturday was also a special day.  It was my best friend Erin's bridal shower.  She invited me and our friend Shaina to a dry bar when they wash, blow dry, and style your hair.  It was great spending time with these two and getting a bit of pampering in before the party.  I HIGHLY suggest getting this done if you are getting professional pictures done, or are going to a wedding or fancy party.  Well worth the time, effort, and money... I mean, look at our hair!!

I will do an extra post this week about Erin's bridal shower, so stay tuned.

Also, if you haven't done so already, please visit our Baby Hunch website to submit your guesses for Baby Rials.  Remember, whoever is closest will win a prize!!! Just click here to submit your guess.  You will have to enter in your email address, but this is just so we can contact you if you have won, you don't have to sign up for anything, promise :)

See you all next week!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Tess... You're such a doll! Love you and all your transparent cuteness!!! PS... I was group B + too... And bummed too...turned out no biggie too!

    ReplyDelete